About Occupy Copenhagen
Occupy Denmark and Occupy Copenhagen are part of an international Movement that is concerned about the recent transformations of society. We are inspired by, for example, the Arab Spring, Real Democracy Now (Democracia real Ya ) in Spain, and Occupy Wall Street in New York City. The Occupy Movement has local Groups in more then 2000 cites around the world.
We are concerned because:
• Democracy doesn't function when money controls politicians.
• The mass media doesn't live up to its function as democracy's watchdog, because it is dependent upon market forces and dominated by economic actors (advertisers). It doesn't provide information that is important for citizens to know.
• We have an economic system that is fundamentally unstable, that creates crises that few can predict, that causes large corporations to grow even larger, and that creates hunger by gambling with food prices (commodity options).
• We have an economic system that needs growth and constantly increasing consumption to function.
• Wealth and economic power is increasingly concentrated.
• We exploit the planet's resources as rapidly as possible, so there isn't anything left for coming generations.
The Occupy Movement is independent of political parties. Many of the Movements activists and supporters participate in other organizations and in movements of widely different types that work in the same problem areas, however, the Movement is not bound by any political ideology.
The Occupy Movement is a forum where we discuss problems and solutions, without the Movement as a whole advocating a particular political ideology. In opposition to many other organizations and movements, we don't claim to have a solution to all of the problems. We each have ideas about what is needed to create a better society and we don't expect to agree on one political solution. We believe that the maximum number of people should be involved in the process of finding solutions to the many serious problems the Planet faces.
Therefore, we advocate:
:That politicians, media, political commentators, researchers, and the public in general take these problems seriously and discuss possible solutions
:That power shall rest with the citizens, not be the prerogative of financial elites
:That the current casino economy shall be replaced by a system that creates stability, justice, financial security, and sustainability
:That the ruthless exploitation of the Earth's resources stops
The Occupy Movement encourages everyone to accept their responsibility for the development of society and for the Planet's future, and to contribute to solutions for the enormous problems the World faces. Therefore, we encourage everyone to participate - also you!